Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Base & A-frame on tractor

A lot of progress has been made on the tractor in a few days. I would like more done of course, but with only two hands...

Base on!

Base painted! This colour is Mid Bristol Green, made by Taubmans. I was going to put the snake mesh on at this stage, but realised I'd probably need room for attaching the A-frame. Speaking of which, I had a bugger of a time trying to figure out what angles to cut. But the solution soon presented itself.

First I made a template out of newspaper. The triangle had a one-metre base, to a height of eighty centimeters.

Then I measured the width of the wood I intended to use and cut an equal thickness out of the template.

Just a simple matter of placing it on the wood, marking with a pencil and then cutting to shape!

Align two matching sides to form an A-frame! The third piece hasn't been fitted yet, but once it is, the strength of the triangle becomes apparent.

And here is the future nesting box. I haven't attached it to the run at this stage, as I want to paint them first and install the treads for the floor.

This picture gives a better view of what it will be like inside. The wood I'm using is more of my recycled pallets.

It's hard to believe the wood is still very solid and relatively easy to cut - considering it's been lying around in our yard for well over 18 months!

Here is the long view and for now, you'll just have to imagine two more A-frames on the other side. One is for the nesting box and the other will be for the roost. I'm making this up as I go along, so I'm hoping I don't get stuck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love reading what you have to share. Gully Grove is a Spam free environment though, so new commenter’s only leaving hyperlinks, will be promptly composted.