Monday, March 16, 2009

Now & then...



I show a lot of photographs on my blog. Pictures explain a lot more than I could. It's quite a luxury to have a digital camera to download images on the net now. But when I was a kid, instant photography was called a Polaroid camera. Hardly a convenient unit to carry around the garden, and the images would fade with time - but you were pretty 'cool' if your family had a Polaroid.

Mental images fade with time too, I have discovered. When I drive around our semi rural area now, it feels like home. When I see the houses a few streets away, with their ancient sheds and car parts strewn around the front yard - I feel comforted.

Now - that is - I didn't always feel that way!




Don't we all try to hide our ugly bits from the neighbour's view? I'm ashamed to admit it, but when we first bought our piece of the bushland here, I wondered why the neighbours left such ugly eyesores in their yard. How hard was it to clean up? They had acres of land: why were their houses surrounded by junk!

Two years of living here though, and I've forgotten the idealistic yuppie who thought someone else's yard was an eyesore to the public. I get glimpses of her, every now and then, but it's only when I yearn for those rural junkyards that welcome me on my way home. I'm glad those neighbours treat their houses like HOMES and not trophies for passers by to admire. It doesn't matter what kind of home you own though - or where you're located. You should take pleasure in all your neighbour's homes, as they welcome you on the way back to yours.

It's such a simple pleasure I receive now. I get to enjoy my neighbourhood for what it is, rather than what it isn't. I'm finally home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love reading what you have to share. Gully Grove is a Spam free environment though, so new commenter’s only leaving hyperlinks, will be promptly composted.