Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Garden love

It's probably no secret but I really love my garden. It's not necessarily what it looks like that I love, but more I get to spend time there and feel connected to something real. We all need something real to interact with in life.




The family spent some much yearned for time in the garden on the weekend. It was a lovely sunny autumn day. We soaked up the rays, moving dirt and making new pathways. The dry stone retaining wall we've been working on for quite some time now, is nearing the planting stage.




What better than a "garden", to go searching for appropriate plants? What I love about my garden, is if I stick a small plant in the ground and let it grow - I get bigger plants for later! Which is exactly what happened when I decided to move these dwarf mono grass from under the clothes line.




It seemed just like yesterday, when I first put them in the ground. Holy Mac! Did it ever look that neat and tidy?




Thanks to these deep concrete blocks, the mondo grass has enormously long roots now! It was in the plans to move the mono grass anyway, because when we had the deluge of 2010 and 2011, the area around the clothes line became completely flooded.


Hardy little munchkins, those mondo's!


So we need to raise the area under the clothes line, and widen where the water runs away. I've got a few ideas for that, but will report on progress later. For now, just think bridges and rock ponds! I am.

I love pottering in my garden on warm autumn days like this. I think about the next growing season, I dream about the plants I will plant, and I soak up the ever shortening days of sunlight. Winter will soon be here.

While the garden will rest during those winter months, Dave and I will be working hard outside. Just like we did on the weekend. Time for some time-elapsed photography, to make it look a heck of a lot easier than it was.




In the beginning there was a dry-stone retaining wall...




Then some strange carbon-based lifeforms appeared out of nowhere!




They decided they liked it so much, they would move in for a while...




This made the dry stone retaining wall, very happy.




And they all lived happily ever after in the garden of love.



~ The end ~



Well...almost the end...I swear if this romance with my garden ever ends, I want to be compost by then.



5 comments:

  1. Your garden is looking so lovely! All that hard work is apparent.

    I on't think your work will ever end and I join you in loving this work:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. :)

    Whenever I work on my dry stone retaining wall, I think of the one Garry built for your herb garden. I keep wondering what it looks like now.

    Hint-hint, wink-wink. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, hint taken! I was waiting for the plants to fill in because it still looks like a bunch of ruins with dirt.lol! but I shoud take work in progress photos anyway. Soon;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw the pictures on your blog! I was having problems getting on-line (I think it's the ISP) so I didn't get to respond until later today.

    Progress photos aren't always glamorous, but very handy to have when the project is finished. I think dirt and rocks look awesome anyway. They have a rugged finish that is never that stark again once the plants go in. When I look back on some of our progress shots, I'm blown away how quickly I forgot what the "constructions" phase looked like. So yes, progress shots are handy to have. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris, no, progress photos are not the best but tbats because thry are rarely artisticly staged. Lol! I see sme can make a pile of dirt look seductive in pictures but I am not that talented:)

    I do enjoy seeing these types of shots though but I have stayed away from posting them myself.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love reading what you have to share. Gully Grove is a Spam free environment though, so new commenter’s only leaving hyperlinks, will be promptly composted.