Rosemary - centre
It's been a few years since I've done rosemary, but I've decided to try and get some more in the ground, for bee food. Its a favourite for them it seems. Plus its extremely hardy in our climate. An excellent hedge and windbreak too.
I've also taken some more pineapple sage, as with their fragrant red flowers, it's another bee favourite. I've also taken some lavender, daisies and pepino cuttings too. I want to plant the pepino in my hugelkultur bed, along with some bananas we propagated earlier.
Propagating larger plants
These four dwarf Ducasse bananas, have gotten much bigger, since we cut them from the parent plant. We also have another three banana trees, out of shot. So there's plenty of propagation material to find places for in the garden. A pumpkin has also sprouted from the compost I had in the wheelbarrow too!
But now for something new I'm trying this year...
I'm attempting to strike mulberry trees, in water with a dash of Seasol for nutrients. I initially read about it here. Scroll down the bottom, for the water technique. It's very simple.
After several days sitting in the water, I'm happy to report...
Click to enlarge
There appears to be roots forming, albeit, tiny ones. I have to change the water every week, to ensure there's a fresh supply of oxygen and mould doesn't start developing on the stems. I hope these will transplant well into potting mix after the roots get a little longer, and stronger.
I only managed to strike one mulberry cutting in soil, last year, out of a whole bunch. So I'm hoping this new technique, will be more successful. I love mulberries trees. They grow so quick in our hostile environment, feed themselves every year with a leaf drop, and simply make it cooler, wherever they are planted.
So here's hoping I get some success from this year's propagation attempts.