Sunday, April 8, 2018

Finished

I didn't mean to wait so long, before writing this post. It's the finished project I spoke about painting, recently. With Easter holidays, traveling for relatives' birthday's, starting a week long art challenge via Instagram, and work in general, this is the soonest, I could commit to blogging.

So, what did I end up making....


Click to enlarge
 

It's a bench seat, with built-in shoe storage. I told you it was going to be simple. It's a necessary piece of furniture nonetheless, as I was having a shoe storage problem (read: explosion!) near the front door.


Real life


Even with a shoe cull, last year, the shoes were beginning to pile up everywhere. Especially since our youngest, needed more shoes to wear, as well. There's actually more shoe mess, not shown in the above picture, but I'm dealing with the shoe storage problem, one area at a time.


Problem solved


Specifically, there was a lack of space for boots! They were stored under a hallway table, adjacent to this area. With boots being so tall too, I could never find a shoe rack I could purchase, that would allow me to store shoes above them. Hence, why I decided to make my own bench seat, shoe rack.


Practical and functional


This furniture, solved several more problems, than shoe storage though. My husband was using a nearby coffee table, to pull his work shoes on. A table, our son always had covered with lego! So it was a matter of moving lego, to find a suitable place to sit down. Not any more though.

It also dealt with the school bag problem, emerging after our son started school this year. Our eldest, packs her own bag, so it lives in her room. We still had to pack his bag though, so it tended to live on the couch, nearest the kitchen. This bench seat, however, is in a better position, and it frees up the couch again!

There are several more, woodworking projects I have to design, that deal specifically with niche, storage areas. They're such simple projects too, but high in real estate value. Meaning, I get more storage per the same locale. All in good time though.



16 comments:

  1. Very nice! Is that MDF you've used. And butt joined with dowel using the little jig?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not MDF, but I wouldn't blame you for thinking that. I tried my best to make it look uniform. I was considering the dowel, but discovered what I had, was too large for the boards. So I went the screw route instead. The jig came in handy, for about 30% of the screws used - which were ones I definitely couldn't access.

      I made this up, as I went. Adding the middle panel, after realising it needed more stability. I may do a post later, for the design, because it's really very simple. :)

      Delete
  2. Love it. Functional and looks good! LIZ -EIGHT ACRES

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done! I too do a "shoe cull" every so often. I buy all ours used and because they are so cheap I end up with two many. Fortunately I have 3 sisters to pass things on to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer buying mine second hand too, because they seem to be so well made. I've also received donations from my mother, after realising she didn't like the feel of her new shoes. The perks of having similar sized feet! ;)

      Delete
  4. Excellent solution! I should make one of these at our back door. I have a low shelf there (a board and bricks) but your design accommodates both shoes and boots - something important in the country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, muck boots are essential, and best left at the front door - unlike dress boots, which can happily live in the bedroom cupboard. You'll want to measure your tallest boot, to determine the height for the shelf above it. Then add about a half to an inch, extra. :)

      Delete
  5. That's a great solution to your shoe/storage/school bag problem, Chris! Looks great and functional too:) When my son was very small, we had two very low shelves built and now he's older we have re-purposed them to hold our shoes. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great solution in your home as well, Meg. Storage space is a premium, and all the better, if you've already paid for it and can just re-purpose it. Kids' changing needs, creates a lot of turnover.

      Delete
  6. Great solution, well done, always good idea to custom make DIY.
    My daughter has similar with 2 baskets floor level for little boys shoes, pull out like drawers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like an excellent solution for little feet, and little hands. Very kid friendly.

      Delete
  7. Functional and great to look at. Chris I was already mighty impressed at your skills, and now you've added this talent as well. :-O

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is great Chris. I've got a similar problem at my front door - certain shoes don't fit the shoe rack and inevitably the shoes seem to have babies while we sleep and there are shoes everywhere. You've given me some good inspiration - now just to find the time to get handy...
    Cheers,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Laura. Shoes are just like sourdough starter, don't you think? They just keep growing, until you ignore them for a while and they ferment, into a hoochie hot-mess! I like your sourdough exploits, on your blog. I love making sourdough too. :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love reading what you have to share. Gully Grove is a Spam free environment though, so new commenter’s only leaving hyperlinks, will be promptly composted.