Thursday, September 17, 2009

New scoops from old bottles

I'm sure this isn't a new idea, but I wanted to share one of my recycling projects, involving an empty 2 litre tomato sauce bottle, purchased from Aldi. It's made of a good sturdy plastic to use in my chicken feed bags, and a really simple project to make. All you need is a marking pen and a sharp blade. Use the marking pen to draw the piece you will cut out - ensuring the handle is on the top, like so:




The next part can be a little tricky, depending how sharp your blade is. I found most of it easy to cut through, except for the joining seam at the base. That took a little more persistence, but the project still only took about 5 minutes to complete. When you're finished the scoop should look like this:




I've made these scoops before, out of old 2 litre cordial bottles (seen below) but they have a thinner plastic, so I need to be more careful when using them. Also seen below is the leftover bit from the Aldi tomato sauce bottle, which my daughter has now dubbed her "mini" scoop. Great for playing in the garden with too.




Just a final word of caution when using the blade though, be sure to cut away from yourself, or directly downwards onto a cutting board to keep your fingers safe.

5 comments:

  1. Great minds think alike! I made mine out of a 3 litre milk carton, not as sturdy probably but its lasted a couple of months now and perfect for scooping the chook grain. At least when its past its best its easy (and free)to get another :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a great idea, isn't it. I can't remember where I read about it previously, but since learning this simple recycling project, I've never had to buy another feed scoop again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. and you can recycle them when they are finished!

    (well, our council takes any hard plastic now, not sure about others?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very brilliant!
    My children once took a mask making class and those big bottles were used as a mold as well. I wonder sometimes too if one could store grains in them. Would they be safe do you think?
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. As long as they've contained food prevously and are cleaned well, I couldn't see an issue with reusing them for storing dry foodstuff again.

    My husband often brings home those large plastic, catering sized mayonnaise jars, which I keep flour and rice in. As long as it's food grade plastic and cleaned well, it should be safe.

    Our council recycles plastic bottles too, only we don't have a special bin where we are located. We have to take it to our local transfer station instead. But yes, fully recyclable, and that's a bonus!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love reading what you have to share. Gully Grove is a Spam free environment though, so new commenter’s only leaving hyperlinks, will be promptly composted.